Over the last few years, we’ve had the privilege of sharing an amazing chunk of blog posts informing how we experience our lives and think about ourselves and others as Black women. When we began Cite A Sista, our literal goal was to increase the number of people who cite Black women instead of simply using us for our labor and love and immediately discarding us after. This is reflected in many of the themes and ideals across our Blog. We also endeavored to created space for Black women to work out and through issues most pressing to us. Although the blog is no longer operational, we offer this curated collection of posts below that we believe will stand the test of time.
We are thankful to every person who has ever contributed to the Cite A Sista blog and website. If you’re looking for ways to support us, you can do so by buying a tee from our Tee-Spring store or by donating on PayPal so we can keep this website and these posts functional.
Our Fab Faves
If you’re new here, we have two posts that can provide you with context on the 5 W’s of #CiteASista. In Joan’s post Why I (Literally) Cite A Sista, she cover’s why it’s important to do the work of citing sistas. In Brittany’s post on #CiteASista as a Project to Move us Beyond Theory-To-Practice, there’s more background on the literal formation and decisions that led to all that is #CiteASista. Read em.
This background can help to clear up any questions and/or confusion about the work we’ve done, continue to do, and our conceptualization of this project before the creation of other, often bigger, hashtags. Speaking of, shoutout to Kishonna Gray of #CiteHerWork who preceded us
(see how easy it is to literally #CiteASista).
The All Star Line Up
- Serena is ALL of Us: #BlackWomenAtWork Edition
- I’m Childfree By Choice: So Please Stop Bingoing Me!
- On Agency, #Jayz444, #443chat, & a Woman’s Burden
- Winging It in New Zealand
- Mother, May I See You Heal?: Inter-generational Healing Among Black Women
- #GirlsTrip: Is #SquadCare the new #SelfCare?
- For colored girls who live for snap filters and a little bit of cleavage
- “Check Up On Your Strong Friends” & Negotiating Feelings of Failure
Sexual & Reproductive Health & Safety
- Developing a Healthy Sexual Ethic
- Today is #WorldAidsDay. Be in the know!
- HPV: There’s a Vaccine For That
- Want Your Birth Control Delivered? There’s an App for That!
- On #Scandal, “The List,” & A Culture of Workplace “Sex”
Therapy & Counseling
- Your First Time: What to Expect During Your Initial Therapy Session
- It’s Okay to Pray…AND Go to Counseling.
- Therapy for *This* Black Girl
- The Insightful Client: Getting the Most out of Therapy
Weight & Body Image
- No One Owes You a Flat Stomach
- Here’s the Truth About Her Weight
- On being a “Fat, Black, B*tch” & Learning To Love Myself
- What The Health: A Perspective
- Rates of Colon Cancer Increasing Among Young Adults
- Please Take My Sick Away
- Don’t Believe the Lie!: 3 Ways to Combat Imposter Syndrome
- Let Em’ Talk Sis…
- Surprising Signs That You’re Stressed Out
Drawing Lines for Others
- I Get Tired Too, Sis.
- Is “No” a Dirty Word: On our Culture of “Ghosting”
- Not you too, sis?: Taking Advantage of Fellow #BlackGirlMagic
- Creating Boundaries: Struggles of Being a Black Woman in Higher Education
Making Space for Yourself
- 3* Reasons I Decreased My Social Media Usage
- Let tomorrow worry about tomorrow
- Advocating for ME
- Protecting Our Boundaries: Thoughts from Becoming
Goal Setting & Annual Reflections
- New Year, New Me: Reflections on My Resolutions
- 2018 Reflections
- #B29: Birthday Reflections
- Is It Too Late To Say…Sorry?
Managing The Ships
- All of this winning…*Beyonce’ Voice*
- It’s Easy To Root For Your Girl When She’s Winning… But What Happens When She Stumbles?
- Do You Thank God for Your Friends?
- My #1 Tip for Amazing Sister-Friendships
- The Clingy Friend
- Grief and Betrayal: What Happens When Black Men Betray Us?
- My Relationship is Over, but I Still Have Work to Do
- The List
- Bae is Great, But I’m Tired!
- What intimacy looks like to me…
- Save Your Pearls: “Nice” is a Trap
- Interracial Dating whilst Black Woman x Natasha Lee
- 4 Tips for Cuffing Season Success
- 3 Things I’ve Learned From My Long Distance Marriage
Managing Grad School
Family & Community
- Taking Up Space: A Black Graduate Women’s Photo Shoot as Black Feminist Praxis
- In Service to Sisterhood and Scholarship (#BlackGradWomenSC)
- 8 Useful Graduation Gifts for the (Almost) Ph.D. in Your Life
- Here Come the Questions: 25 Things NO Grad Student Wants to Hear
- “I Expect You to do Well”: Diary of a High-Achieving Black Girl
- Beyoncé Level Presentations
- Unleashing your Inner Child to Master Graduate School
- “You Are Built For This”: Countering Imposter Syndrome
- Back to School: Mastering Organization
- A Finals Plan of Attack
- Get Sh*t Done: How to Finish What You Started, Even When You’re Tired
- “Time Management” in Grad School? Whet?
General Advice & Reflections
- Lessons Learned: Reflections on Graduate School 10 Years Later
- Focus On School They Said, Everything Else Will Fall Into Place They Said…
- When Life Happens…
- A Cautionary Tale *With Advice!*for Doctoral Students
- Advocating for ME
- No Excuse In the World Will Keep You From Your Destiny
- My Doctoral Journey Began With Two Words…
Love, Loss, & Grief
- Faith | Hope | Love
- Love Always, Dr. Mini Me
- #IllAlwaysLoveMyMama #ShesMyFavoriteGirl
- Learning to Mourn Because Sh*t Hurts
Black Women At Work
- Stop Dismissing Fear of Failure in High Achieving Black Women
- How I Learned to Negotiate a Higher Salary
- You Tried It: What not to do during an interview
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Organizational Culture
- Let’s Talk About The People in the Background
- 4 Questions To Answers If You Want To Start A Side Hustle
- So You’re Interviewing for a Job?: Think About It
- Chasing Checks vs. Chasing Dreams
- On Healing #HairHate: How I Learned to Love My Natural Hair
- On #NappilyEverAfter and embracing #NaturalHair: A Review-ish & Personal Reflection
- The Local Guide to New Orleans
- Out of My Comfort Zone: Four Days & Three Nights in Japan
- The Importance of Traveling in Graduate School
- Social Class & Social Media: Why Everythang’ Ain’t What It Seems With Travel Posts
That’s all folks. Leave comments on the respective posts and share them far and wide!
Thanks for reading with us over all these years!